Thursday, January 21, 2016

Myositis - Let the good times roll!

The photo was taken last night, I was having a good time at Value Village trying on Snowmobile suits! 

Since my diagnosis, I have decided that whatever journey my physical body takes, I still get to decide what my experience of life is. It may look a little different, using a cane or wheelchair, but I am still going to have an incredible life! I am very blessed & since getting Dermatomyositis I find that I fully LIVE every single day. I try not to take anything for granted. So I would say, in this way it's been a blessing. 

I think it's still important to 'grieve' the loss of what was, but I don't feel victimized by my illness. I'm actually not surprised that I got sick, as I was living a very fast-paced stressful life, fully self absorbed in my career. I see myself as co-creator of my illness.  And I also see myself as an active participant in my recovery. I do believe that I am the source & cause of my life experiences. It helps me to feel better about life to believe these things.  I realize that not everyone shares this point of view, and I am not one to judge another's journey or experience. I have enough on my plate just managing my own expectations of life!

When I am in the midst of my disease and everything hurts, and I can't swallow food, or dress myself, that the most important thing I can do to heal my body is to remain in a loving space.  I can't afford bouts of self-pity, as I find it just makes me feel worse.  If I'm going to be 'sick' I may as well choose to make the most of it!

I know that tragedy happens every day. It has happened in my life.  I have come to believe that how I choose to respond to what is happening that will make all the difference. I've noticed since I've gotten sick I'm much more loving, patient, kind, helpful, present, quick to play, light hearted. Long gone is that stressed out person I was before I got sick.  

I've had a wakeup call, and truly realize that my days are numbered on this planet.  I want to leave a legacy of joy. I don't want to waste a single day feeling sorry for myself. (not to be confused with grief.) If I need to feel sad, I cry, and get vulnerable while allowing others to nurture and care for me.  I truly believe that this has been an integral part of my healing. 

I also do my best to consciously choose to look at the beauty that surrounds me on a daily basis! I choose to love it like it is & let the good times roll. This was my slogan even when I was in the hospital. I was amazed how many friends I have made since implementing this philosophy! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment