Saturday, January 16, 2016

My First Entry

In July 2015 I first began to experience symptoms of the disease I've been diagnosed with.  I've developed a very rare condition known as 'Dermatomyositis'.  This is an auto-immune disease, where my immune system is attacking my muscles.  When the disease is active, I can't walk up stairs, put my pants on, lift my head off of the pillow, or even get myself in & out of the bath.  I have to use a cane to get around & always need to ask for help when I'm grocery shopping to pull the stuff off of the shelves.

Luckily, I live in 2016 and there are great medicines available to me!  Four months into this journey, I find myself slowly recovering.  I've been walking on a daily basis in the forest that surrounds the home I live in. Also, I've been cleansing my home and applying 'Feng Shui' principles and I find I've been experiencing a huge shift in my energy levels.  I even went for a 1.3km run a few days ago.  It was a really slow run, but I actually cried a little when I was out there doing it. I honestly didn't know if I'd ever be able to do that again.  I'm learning to take what comes up and to love the experience!

Even if I end up in a wheelchair, or having to use a cane, I know that I will still have an amazing experience of life.  I know that life happens 'through' me and not 'to' me.

My intention for this space is to share my experience through writing.  I just really love to write & want to use this space to practice.   Also, I want to share my perspective of having a 'rare disease' and going through the medical system as an active participant in my own recovery. 

Daily I have experienced the most profound connections with others, and I continue to feel amazed at how much people care.  I feel incredibly blessed to be living a life that is truly abundant and the only thing that would make it better is to share it.

So welcome to my journey of 'Awakening to the World'.  I invite you to walk this journey with me for a time...  especially while we can still walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment